Saturday, January 28, 2006

"i am an imposter octopus"

My boyfriend is probably one of the last people on this earth to still have a tape player in his car. This is a wonderful thing because it allows me to engage in one of my favorite stress relievers/time wasters; mix taping.

Now, why, in this day and age, where one can simply drag mp3's into iTunes and hit "burn cd" do I allow myself the stress of having to get up and hit stop every time I want to switch to a different song, of having to make sure the volume is adequate...."leave your own argument for cds vs. tapes here".....?

Well, I already stated the first reason. My boyfriend has a tape player in his car. I don't think I need to go into how dismal the radio is these days, so we'll pass that and assume it's a given.

Also, I don't find the intricacies involved in making the perfect tape stressful. If anything, I find all of those little details relaxing.

So, today, I finished the fourth (or fifth?) tape in a series of tapes that have found themselves strewn about Matt's car. Here is the setlist for your viewing pleasure.




Later, I'll post some scans of the tape and the artwork. Till then, share with me your setlists....whether it be for cds or tapes or iTunes. Why did you make the _______? And most importantly, did creating it help you to relax?

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

XD

i still have a tape player in my car, but my car barely runs and the stereo only works if you hold down the power button.

i still love the joy electric / joe christmas mix tape you made. it is pure love.

i havent mix taped in forever. your list is wonderful. do you listen to regina spektor or sufjan stevens?

2:42 PM  
Blogger Leilani said...

Whoa. I'd totally forgotten about joy electric and joe christmas! talk about a blast from the past! Hehe.

I don't know who Regina Spektor is? Sufjan Stevens I'm kinda staying away from until the hype dies down...does that make sense? I want to be able to approach his music from an "almost" unbiased POV, which is hard when he is covered all the time. One day I'll get to it. That said, I have heard one or two songs and liked them.

2:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I guess I heard a little hype about Sufjan before I started listening to him, but it was mostly from friends who liked no-name bands anyway on Frenzyboard. I think I first heard of him several years ago from the Danielson website but never bothered with him.

Regina Spektor is pure love. Soviet Kitsch is great. You may like her. http://www.reginaspektor.com

4:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i hear you are quite good at mix tapes.

*cough*

not that i would know :)

*blink*

12:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home